Tuesday, December 11, 2007


Interesting Picture:
Here is the main tea house, Chaikhona, in Dushanbe...Called Rohat. The service is horrible, and sometimes the food inedible, but I still go about twice a month for cheap soups and Plof.
Quote for the Day: "Every week, Ty Pennington brings the American Dream to a deserving family. What a freakin' jerk." (Jon Mooallem, "Schlock and Awwww: Commericializing Altruism" at: http://www.motherjones.com/arts/feature/2007/11/schlock-and-awwww.html

Website for the Day: (with thanks to Max for bringing this to our attention:) http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/candidate-match-game.htm

---> Less than a week left in Dushanbe. I don't want to leave!! I'm really used to the life here...
The Iranians have invited me to come for a week or so it seems (after getting the run around for the visa for months)...but Dubai is already set, so I won't be going probably.
Had a typical Tajik breakfast this morning -- "Ord-e Biryon" - "fried flour" - which is really a misnomer because they take flour, fry it an a LOT of oil, and then mix in milk...it's like a thin porridge that you can even drink. It's eaten very hot and in large quantities, sometimes mixing in pieces of bread. I used to never eat the fried flour breakfast until I went to the village last month, and learned the secret is to fry the oil, letting it burn for a long time, to get a good flavor. The house will stink to no end, but the result is at least edible.
I hope to be snap happy with my old digital camera for the rest of the week that I am here.....
Write comments everyone!!! I have no idea how many of you are reading, and don't forget to say who you are!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey!

I used to go to Rohat in Summer 2006 and the service was not so horrible. Also their shashlik was acceptable (not the best one) and it's one of the most beautiful buildings in Dushanbe.

Mmm, don't forget to say who you are? I'm just a casual reader, my name is Luis, I'm from Basque Country, and I was in Dushanbe for 10 weeks in Summer 2006 (while I was training in Babilon Mobile Company).
I have been also in Iran for another 10 weeks, but not in Dubai.