Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Going to Summer school today!

Quote for the Day: "In Pakistan," he says, “I met a family that had lived in America. They’d worked as dog washers.” He tries to say the words in En-glish: “dog wah sir.” We keep eating, pondering the absurdity that, somewhere in the world, it could be a man’s job to wash a dog. “That’s what’s wrong with America,” Kubad announces. “When a dog is dirty, you think it’s a problem. When a real problem comes, you don’t know what to do.” (from: A Detainee's Story: The Man who has been to America" in Mother Jones at: http://www.motherjones.com/news/feature/2006/07/guantanamo.html

Website of Interest: Informed Comment, Thoughts on the Middle East, History, and Religion, by Juan Cole. http://www.juancole.com/

Today, I will be heading out with colleagues from the Bureau of Human Rights to attend their summer school in Varzob. I know it's not summer anymore --- but there is a continuation of their summer school in the winter months, and they still refer to it as summer school training...
I will be giving a presentation about respect for human rights in the war on terror, specifically in the U.S. I look forward particularly to the discussion we will have about behavior pattern recognition and finger printing. I also look forward to the lunch that they cook there, over an open fire. Perhaps I will take some photos.

No comments: