Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Soviet remnants


I really enjoyed Hojand if only because I could photgraph rather unusual and inexplicable remnants of the Soviet Union -- most notably this large red sickle and hammer. I like the fact that it's now used as a bulletin board, with flyers taped up. Perhaps that's why it has remained all these years. I wish I had had more time there as Hojand is still known and appears as a Soviet city. There were many great monuments and Communist artifacts to photograph.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That may make for very interesting pictures particularly in black and white to demonstrate how the Soviet Union has faded into the past by paralleling it to the pre-color era of pictures.

Karina Audrey said...

You're right Eduardo...Next to our school is the University of Pedagogy (?) and they are gutting the whole building. Out on the lawn are all these heads of Lenin. Some black and whites would be awesome. :) See you back in Boston!