Sunday, July 09, 2006

Shartuz

Hi Again,

The trip to Shartuz was fun! It was only a three hour ride up there and with the car windows open, it never felt too bad. Of course, whenever the car stopped the heat moved in fast. I will post photos of Shartuz tomorrow probably, but I'd have to say it wasn't as much of an oasis or paradise as I'd wanted...it was VERY crowded and the woman's swimming section was really NOT pleasant. I'm used to seeing women get the second best all the time but this was too different --- especially since the water flowed to the woman's part and so there was a lot of garbage there that had floated in from where the men and boys were....the facilities at the hot springs are really rudimentary and it would only take some small investment to get things cleaned up....the water though remains remarkably clear and pleasant despite the masses of people who abuse it. There were thousands of fish (big and little) swimming in the water along with snakes....We set up some carpets and a sofreh, ate three watermelon and my host mother made osh for everyone. I don't think this group trip would have worked without my aggressive go-get-em host family. They're awesome. I'll write more and post pictures tomorrow (god willing).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

...I suppose god was not willing...