Thursday, July 06, 2006

Must remember my camera...

Yesterday I walked home from Rudaki street for an hour and saw a tremendous lot I'd love to photograph and share with you. The impetus for always carrying my camera, though, was the pickup truck parade with soldiers packed into it. They were so tightly squeezed in that it seemed they couldn't even move their arms. It's so hot today that even the posch internet cafe seems warm to me and i've removed my modest long-sleeved clothing.
On another note, Dushanbe is thus far the only place I have been where my eyes sting after I accidentally get shower water in them...that's how unfiltered the water seems to be....not to mention that I have seen algae and fish poo floating in it as well...Oh well, what doesn't kill me makes me stronger. I just get slightly irritated when my host family tells me that Tajikistan's water is great and clean enough for everyone to drink. I'm very good at saying NO. It has always been my instinct to refuse things I don't like...some of my colleagues/classmates here are unable to really draw the line at some things. This morning I flatly said, NO, to the boiled milk with flour and oil that when boiled smells like fish. If a tajik reader could tell me the name of this dish, I'd be very happy, cause I keep getting different names from people around me. I have also said NO to hot dogs for breakfast. One girl has been eating two every morning and she now has a Parasite....Yuk!
Later///

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Completely random comment, but I've been working on Wikipedia's new Central Asia Project. We're trying to remedy the lack of information about Central Asian countries like Tajikistan. One way to do this is to include pictures of places in the country, but getting them (and permission to use them) is rather hard. Would you be interested in helping out?

Karina Audrey said...

Hello,

Thanks for your comment.
I know it's hard to get photos of places. If you want photographs of famous places, I'd be happy to help you out, otherwise, for people, it's more sensitive.

Anonymous said...

We absolutely don't want to bother people, in fact, only places have been requested so far. If you get out of Dushanbe, here is a list of places:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikipedia_requested_photographs_in_Tajikistan

Even within Dushanbe there's a lack of images. We only have a picture of the
train station, but pictures of (and
any information about:
* Haji Yakoub Mosque
* Museum of Ethnography
* Tajik Unified Museum

would be an enormous help! Thanks!