Monday, February 21, 2005

Watching the Celebrations


After struggling below, and trying to take pictures from the women's section of the festivities, I was offered by a nice lady to come to the upstairs of the Mosque for better viewing of the ceremonies below. It was a great chance to get better photos and see the inside of the majestic building - the outside of which you have seen above in daylight and nighttime. Here, I am wearing a chador, the traditional religious dress for the women. This dress is not required, but during the religious days, all the women of the town I was visiting wore this out of respect. It's always good to be respectful, and definitely not good to stand out. Many people were happy that I chose to join them for the holidays and wished that I was as comfortable as possible in my travels around Iran. This dress is remarkably difficult to hold onto and I am unable to fully grasp not only how to manage it, but also actually grasp onto the fabric as I am walking. It often fell completely to the ground, which greatly amused my hosts. Normally, I just wear a scarf on my head. Posted by Hello

No comments: