Monday, March 10, 2008

Rainy Almaty Day


Today is the official working holiday for Women's Day - but I am sitting in my office preparing powerpoint slides on US election procedures. How fun!

In the course of my reading, I came across a rather interesting word: "perquisite"

This may sound a tad strange - but I had no idea that perk was an abbreviation of perquisite (or maybe I once did and forgot?), and I don't think in all my reading I've ever seen the word perquisite...how curious!? As it always happens though, once you learn a new word - you will probably see it everywhere!

Finally, I took a 5 hour walk yesterday around Almaty. Forgot the camera (and my pedometer) though!

I discovered some nice cafes, a park (with horse back riding), a carnival looking Russian cathedral, and I learned how to walk to the Green Bazaar from my office (this bazaar is the smaller market with lots of vegetables and fruits, as well as some house supplies and clothes). It started raining in the last half hour of my walk - and has been raining since.

Oh, It also seems that whatever the weather is in Dushanbe on Thursday will come to Almaty by Monday - or is this just a coincidence?

No comments: