Saturday, March 08, 2008

Happy March 8 - International Women's Day!!

March 8 is a big holiday in the former Soviet Union. Yesterday, the university had a big celebration for the women staff and faculty. They had a concert and gave us each boxes of chocolate. I have a chocolate storage in my office now, especially after getting back from Switzerland. At 6 pm, the chair of the department and the male faculty poli sci professors arranged a pizza party for the women professors and gave us all roses - I left the flowers there -- never did like cut flowers. The corn pizza was awesome - for those of you unfamiliar with this part of the world - corn and peas are normal pizza toppings.
In any case, today is the official woman's day - but Monday is the national working holiday since March 8 fell on a weekend.
This week is Spring break also. I was originally planning to go to tajikistan - got the visa and everything - but changed my mind -
Quite busy grading midterms. I finished today grading 47 exams for my terrorism class. Only 17 students passed. it wasn't a hard test - and those 17 passed with a 10 point curve.
and passing here is 50%....
If anyone wants to take one of my exams for fun - particularly in USpolitics let me know, I'll email it to you.
The girls here are the best students - by far!! I especially have to say that on women's day.
Not much other news.... the weather is beautiful now, and I plan to take a walk tomorrow and photograph Almaty a bit.
Oh, I've been traded from the College of Social Sciences to KIMEP's new college of law, assuming I stay - which is a big IF because I only signed a one semester contract.
See you!

No comments: