Monday, January 24, 2005

Jumping over Joob (Gutter)

There was a massive snow in the North of Tehran today….and I only thought, at least it’s not as massive as the snow in the Northeast U.S. !! I saw Times Square, with only one taxi going through. Otherwise, Life in Tehran has been kind of slow. There has been a holiday recently – it’s called the Eid of Qorban – or a Celebration of Sacrifice, where Abraham’s offering is commemorated by somehow slaughtering sheep. I hope someone explains this better to me one day. All I know is that I have seen three images – all fitting together. I saw two sheep standing on a street corner looking very peaceful. When I returned home (this was two days ago) I saw a neighbor two houses up with a knife in his hand and a sheep without a head below his arm – still squirming. Today I saw a sheep – again without a head – hanging from a lightpost on a street corner – just recently beheaded being skinned. A man was pulling off so neatly its fleece – and remarkably, I managed to retain my lunch. I immediately thought of my ancestors who probably did this work so often that they didn’t think twice about it.

No comments: