Friday, May 25, 2007

In NYC after graduation!


I've spent the last month traveling around Europe a bit...
I went first to London for a training seminar. That was a revealing trip, because I realized just how much the Americans spending dollars suffer when they take leisure trips to England! My seminar was in Tring, and it was run by a rather good NGO, but I never received the details of the location before arriving in London. When the border control asked me where I was staying, I gave them the hotel name. Then they asked me what I would do in London, so I told them I was going to a Conference. But since I didn't know the exact address, the woman started interrogating me about my profession and my financial resources. After a minute she started openly suggesting that I was entering England legally but that I was intending to stay on and work illegally as some kind of economic migrant! I eventually had to make up a massive lie about being a corporate lawyer, starting in the Fall. If this were the first time the Brits have implied I'm an economic refugee...~!!?! Anyway, Tring was pretty, and the train ride out there was wonderful, but more than one day in a live-in hostel would have been too much. From the exercise, I learned I'm a natural leader but that I have anger management issues when I consider someone intellectually challenged.
After England, I got on Easy Jet - and then from Geneva I went on to Savoie, en France. I saw a small village with a gorgeous hotel castle, and then went on to the town of Chambery, which had a great castle! Chambery is just beautiful, with so many original medieval buildings and passageways in the old town.

No comments: